You’re about to start straightening your teeth with Invisalign, and you couldn’t be more excited. Not only will you finally be fixing your crooked teeth, but you won’t have to deal with the hassle of metal braces. There’s just one problem – you’re worried about whether you can still drink coffee with Invisalign. While you won’t necessarily have to give up your morning cup of joe, you will have to make a few adjustments. Keep reading to learn more about drinking coffee with Invisalign!
Why You Shouldn’t Drink Coffee While Wearing Invisalign Trays
For Invisalign to work, you’ll need to wear the aligners for at least 20-22 hours per day. During this time, you shouldn’t drink coffee; the only thing you should drink is plain water. Why? Drinking coffee while wearing Invisalign trays could cause several problems, such as:
- Staining and discoloration – Any beverage besides clear water could stain your aligners, making them more noticeable. Your teeth might also become discolored, as some of the coffee will become trapped between the aligners and your teeth.
- Higher risk of cavities – Most people add cream and/or sugar to their coffee, and even black coffee is acidic. When the aligners trap this sugary and acidic beverage against the teeth, it increases the risk of decay.
- Damage to your aligners – Invisalign trays are made of thermoplastics, which can change shape when exposed to high temperatures. Sipping a piping-hot cup of coffee could warp your aligners. Since each tray is meticulously shaped to move your teeth in the desired ways, this could set your treatment back.
As you can see, you should never drink coffee while wearing Invisalign. But that doesn’t mean you have to quit the stuff entirely.
How to Enjoy Coffee with Invisalign
If you can’t imagine starting your day without coffee, don’t worry. Here are some tips to drink coffee responsibly during Invisalign treatment:
- Remove and store your aligners – Always take your trays out before you begin sipping your coffee. To prevent your aligners from becoming lost or damaged, store them in their carrying case until you’re finished.
- Cut back on cream and sugar – Minimizing the amount of cream and sugar in your coffee will also minimize your risk of tooth decay.
- Drink your coffee quickly – With Invisalign, you don’t have the luxury of leisurely sipping your cup of joe for an hour or two. Try to finish your coffee within 15-30 minutes. Otherwise, you won’t be wearing your aligners enough for them to be effective.
- Brush or rinse when you’re finished – Once you’re done with your coffee, brush your teeth before putting the trays back in your mouth. If you can’t brush, at least rinse your mouth with water.
There’s no need to sacrifice your morning pick-me-up to get a straight smile. As long as you take the right precautions, you can still safely enjoy coffee throughout your Invisalign treatment!
About the Practice
At Texas Dentistry, we have three convenient locations in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Our expert team is happy to provide services for the whole family, including orthodontics like Invisalign clear braces. To learn more about what to expect with Invisalign, contact our Mesquite dental office at 972-329-4200.